Sunday, November 17, 2013

Reminding Myself of the Joy

Lately I have felt more failings than successes.  Our days have felt stressed. The days have ended without feeling like many things could be claimed as victories.  But that is a lie.  Deceit from the chief lie teller who wants me to believe I am not right where I should be and on a divine mission.

Sometimes it takes stepping back and counting the victories for me to see how many their are.  Last week there was a day in the life group on instagram (hosted by Hollywood Housewife).  Many people (mostly mommas in my feed) documented their day with the things that they wouldn't usually take pictures of and post.   I was late to the party and didn't join in, but I kept feeling this nagging that I should.  So Friday I just started snapping pics of our regular day with my phone.

And at the end of the day what did I see?   I saw my kids happy and playing; my baby napping; my home as comfortable; my friends as supportive; my husband snuggling my baby; the big boys reading; and myself in a favorite t-shirt.  There was this whole list of things that were really good, like spectacular. And the tough parts weren't really all that tough.

This was my Ebenezer.  I could see The Lord's leading, support and encouragement tucked into every snap of the camera and the moments hidden in between the pictures.

This is our Friday at the end of a busy week where I needed to see the joy in the still shots.

After breakfast and the morning calmness, I laid baby girl down for what I felt was a much needed nap.
Friday 11.15.2013
And yes her room does glow pink.  Two layers of pink blackout curtains and it still lets in the perfect pink light.  I don't mind, because you know - pink!

Colin was super itchy so into the lukewarm bath he went
Friday 11.15.2013

Walker started his chores. He must start early because he needs a lot of grace and breaks to finish anything.
Friday 11.15.2013

Eli and I got to work on our reading.  He has come so far just in the few months of first grade.
Friday 11.15.2013

Turns out - not so much nap time.
Friday 11.15.2013

So then there was this.  Her favorite toy (and sometimes snack) in the world is paper.
Friday 11.15.2013

Then we moved onto Walker's reading time and another attempt at getting a fussy baby to nap.
Friday 11.15.2013
See that baby standing up in the monitor? You can tell how well it went this time.

Also, these two decided to have a foot race all through the house while Walker was trying to read and Lydia was trying to not sleep.  So they were sentenced to sit in the corner until we could finish.
Friday 11.15.2013

A hour and a half after the first attempt, she succumb.
Friday 11.15.2013

So naturally it was time for a TV break.  In my head I have a rule that we never turn it on during the day, but in reality I need a shower and that can only happen when Baby Girl is asleep and the boys are quiet and this is about the only way to guarantee that the two happen at the same time.
Friday 11.15.2013

So refreshed and clean and filled with turkey sandwiches we jumped back into history and writing.
Friday 11.15.2013

Eli wanted to play Creationary so badly.  Colin agreed.  This means Eli played and Colin stood near him while he played.
Friday 11.15.2013

So they moved onto Candyland and the kitchen floor which was not overrun with the clutter problem as the dining room table was.
Friday 11.15.2013

Meanwhile, lunch time for the littlest.  Avocados are the only sure fire thing she will eat from a spoon anymore.
Friday 11.15.2013

When  Colin lost his mind at the prospect of being sent back to gum drop land, Walker came and joined and tried to reason with him.  It really didn't work but within 2 turns Colin got to advance to the the ice cream princess lady - so he chilled out at the prospect of winning.
Friday 11.15.2013
Of course no one finished the game because of those darn wild cards. It is the game that can go on for centuries.

Sister has gotten rather into the pacifiers lately, so I thought it was probably time for a good sanitizing of all the baby things. Don't ask me how often it happens, fourth kid an all.
Friday 11.15.2013

The last one working.  Always.  Focus and quickness are not his strong suits, but his mind goes some pretty creative places along the way to finishing.
Friday 11.15.2013

800th diaper change of the day.  Not really, that is just the way it feels.
Friday 11.15.2013
Dear "no trash" California.  I'll check you in a couple of years.  I'm not washing diapers.

One clone trooper heading to sit out because he broke the backyard fence forcefield without permission.
Friday 11.15.2013
So thankful for the backyard sunshine.

We are not nursing as well as we once were, but we are still marching forward. As long as she will keep trying so will I.
Friday 11.15.2013

There was an arts and crafts Christmas show going on in town and a dear friend Adrienne had been in the morning.  She didn't think it would be a great idea to take the boys so she offered to watch them while Lydia and I escaped to find some special presents.
Friday 11.15.2013

When we walked out we were greeted with a pastel sky with a giant moon.  The early sunsets aren't all bad.
Friday 11.15.2013

Then there was dinner guarded by Legos Clones.
Friday 11.15.2013

Finally footy pajamas and good night snuggles.
Friday 11.15.2013

Friday 11.15.2013

And the day was done.  There were the many moments in between clicks of the camera.  There was more grace and less.  There was loving kindness and raised voices.  There was learning and there was discipline.  And I was blessed to be there for it all.

4 comments:

Ashlie and Crew said...

I loved this. I've felt more failures than successes this week, too. I will look for my snapshots today. Just what I needed. Sure miss you guys, especially the little itchy one :)

taylor lane said...

and….. I'm crying. I love you and the way your mother your people so so dearly. I love how authentic you are. I love that God has showed you so much of His goodness that you can stop still and remember it is surely there, even when it doesn't feel like it. Bravo to you for spending the day finding it. And thank you for sharing it with me! I LOVE YOU GIRL.

Kristine said...

Such a great honest post (with lots of glimpses of the faces we love so much!)... and even more of an accomplishment that you got it written and posted!! Bravo :) you're doing a great, great work. From one who is a few years beyond you, you'll one day see a HUGE fruit from all these little successes and failures, as you step back in awe at seeing these once-little-things become real people. It will explode your heart and remind you that it is all worth it - every hard moment, every mundane moment.. it's all part of the beautiful foundation of these future people. Love you! Good job, momma!

Unknown said...

This is awesome ! :)