Sunday, October 3, 2010

Babywearing: What keeps Baby and Momma Happy

Babywearing has been under scrutiny lately. This is my babywearing storing in a nutshell. I cannot imagine mothering without my baby carriers.

IMG_2904.JPG

My first baby, Walker, was a sick quite a bit as a tiny baby.  He was a very good baby, considering, but he had several ailments that made him uncomfortable.  He had terrible reflux, chronic ear infections and both of these issues were exacerbated by the fact that I was unable to nurse him exclusively.  All of his issues were made better by being held close and bouncing.

I was watching Oprah (this was over 4 years ago, and I've asked for forgiveness so you should forgive me too) and she was having one of those giant baby shower things.  One of the gifts was a Hotsling.  As soon as they started describing it, I knew it would help me provide the comfort he so desperately needed.

When it first came it was awkward for me and Walker.  After a short adjustment and learning period it gave me the freedom to care for Walker while still having a free hand.

When Eli came along 14 months later the sling was only more important.  He had some colic and I had a 14 month old to chase.  Eli about lived in the Hotsling.

By the time Colin came along I had done much more research and knew I wanted to add a ring sling to my collection when he came along.  He was the best baby ever, but still wanted to be near mommy and mommy wanted her baby near more than ever.  With every growing baby, those sweet cuddle moments become more valuable.  Also, I like to go with my kids and slipping him in a sling made keeping up with a 2 and 3 year old much easier.

We are now in the mei tai babywearing stage and still loving it.

I love and need the bonding experience of babywearing and the functional help of having my hands available. I'm all for baby safety, and my slings only help me keep my babies and toddlers safe.

All 3 boys in the Hotsling (not at the same time, of course).

Babywearing at the pumpkin patch.

Babywearing on sick days.

Babywearing on snow days.

Independent toddlers still want to be held close.

Babywearing in Disney.

For more information on safely babywearing visit the Baby Carrier Industry Alliance  Position Paper.

Written as part of Stephanie's Call to Action at Adventures in Babywearing.


3 comments:

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

I love all of these different stories on how they began babywearing. Mine was simply to seek sanity because I was losing it with a very attached baby. Who knew how much I'd fall in love with babywearing from then on? <3

designHER Momma said...

I love that you learned about babywearing from Oprah, that's pretty funny!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow- I think that is so cool you remember that pivotal moment and it was on Oprah of all things! That's really neat.

Steph