Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Weekend Away

Observations from a weekend in Palo Alto, CA.
  • The other side of the country is really far away.  I didn't think through the implications of being thousands of miles away from my children.  They have stayed away overnight before, but I was still close.  If they really needed me, I was available.  I came to the realization that I was thousands of miles away from my kids after we landed.  And then I had a panic attack. I cried all the way to the car rental counter.  I know they are fine.  I know they are taken care of.  I just didn't think about the trauma the physical separation from my children would cause.  
  • Not as many people babywear in Palo Alto as I expected.  I saw a couple of Bjorns, but in general, babies were in strollers.  There are lots more babywears in B'ham than Palo Alto.  I expected it to be the other way around.
  • This is a college town.  There are lots of college girls.  I wanted to walk around with bolt of fabric and add 4 inches to everyone's skirt.
  • Having no time limit on my prayer time is amazing.  I can do this at home, I just have to be more disciplined.  Taking time to listen to the Lord is so important.
  • I think this would be a good town to come and learn how to minister to the homeless.  They are part of the community and people to not appear to feel uncomfortable around them and they interact with them.
  • It should be a general policy not to look at your family blog or pictures while you are that far away from your children.  Not helpful.
  • It is important to spend time with my husband.  More important than the missing of the kids.  I love slow meals, easy conversations and late nights with him.  We could not have this at home.  I know and appreciate this.  Date nights at home often end at home depot or at least with the vacuum and folding laundry.  We can't do that while away and that is important.
  • Community is important in Palo Alto.  General courtesy to strangers is not.  Smiles and greetings are hard to come by, but everyone seems to know everyone.  Not right or wrong, just different.
  • On Saturday night the sports bars/restaurants have baseball on all 10 of their TVs.  NO college football.  Funny and different.  I retreated to my fancy hotel room to watch the Auburn game.
  • Hotels are fantastic.  We had chocolates on our pillows.  Clean sheets.  Clean towels. Slippers and robes. Fresh coffee in the morning.  And NO dishes to wash.
  • Flying is a little fun.  It is amazing to think we live in a time where we can go from one side of the country to the other in one day.  I love seeing God's handiwork from that vantage point.  But then, after a bit,  it is just kind of uncomfortable and tiring.  Grateful for it, but once every few years is enough. IMG_0883
  • Isaiah chapter 1 and 6 are amazing and convicting and amazing.
  • Jason met MC Hammer.  Awesome. MC Hammer
  • One of my favorite luxuries is taking my sweet time getting ready.  It's free, so I'm going to try and do that more often, you know, when the opportunities presents itself. 
  • We took exactly zero pictures of ourselves.  Boo.  Promise we were there together.
  • Upon returning, "normal" life cranks right back up. I love and loathe that at the same time.

No comments: