Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 4: Henderson, NV to Hanford, CA

The actual road travel of this day was the hardest.  Slow, stop and go traffic through the desert on roads in disrepair with few stops and even fewer restrooms made for a long day. We were all rapidly approaching our travel limits and the conditions didn't help.

I pulled out the last of my reserves in the road trip prizes bag to entertain the masses.

Cross Country Trip July 2012

Cross Country Trip July 2012

Cross Country Trip July 2012

Our one stop for the day was a sweet reward for the hard travel.

Cross Country Travel July 2012

We stopped in Bakersfield at Dewar's.  My mom grew up in Bakersfield.  I have been able to visit a few times, but the last time was with my grandparents in 1994.  So, you know, it had been a few years.  Growing up my grandparents pretty much always candy from here, so for me it was definitely a bit of nostalgia.

Cross Country Travel July 2012

We found a spot at the crowded counter and ordered everyone an ice cream treat.

Cross Country Travel July 2012

Cross Country Travel July 2012

And, yes, I realize that all three boys are wearing white shirts for this messy stop.  I'll have you know Walker's shirt remained completely chocolate free.  I don't want to talk about the other two.

We arrived at Matthew and Elaine's (my bro and SIL) to a home cooked dinner and their adorable puppy.
Cross Country Travel July 2012

This is the first time since they have been married that we have lived IN the same country and ON the same side of the country so it was fantastic to actually be able to visit their home!  There were video games and conversation and just a generally relaxing evening with the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of Walker with his ice cream cone makes me miss those kiddos so much!