Monday, November 12, 2012

Sacrifice

Cross Country Travel July 2012

In honor of those military families who give up more than civilians (myself included) ever could imagine.

In chatting with my sister-in-law last week she casually mentions, "I'm not worried about the first time my child draws on the wall.  I'm worried about her first birthday without her daddy here."  The thought took my breath away.

As a military wife, her world is not my world.  Her realities are not my realities.

Our brave veterans are teaching me...

The older I become and the longer my brother serves in the Navy, the more parallels I see between the beauty of our veterans' lives (family included) and the complete surrender to Jesus our Christian lives call for but I so often bristle at.

What an amazing model these veterans have given us.  That we would be willing to get up and go, even with the cost, the unknowns, the hardship that we are sure to endure.

{And never question the authority of the one sending us.}

It isn't just the moving or the risk or the rules and regulations.

It is a dying to self.

Your life is not your own.  Decisions, plans, wishes and hopes are voluntarily given over to someone else.  For our safety.  For our security. For our future.

These soliders, their families,  and their futures follow orders.  They give it all up to follow the command of those they have pledged their allegiance to for what they believe in.

Some orders are harder than others.  Some people are sent to more difficult places, but they all have made the choice to obey.

They sacrifice for those who disagree, who  are disrespectful and for those who will never say thank you.  They still know their mission.  Our response is not their motivation.

When Jesus calls are we ready to leave our family? Are we ready to miss those special occasions? Are we ready to leave our comfortable familiar homes?  Are we ready to change culture and friends?  Are we ready to leave our family and our support networks?  Are we ready to trust that the Lord will provide all we need?  Are we really ready?

Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be.  My Father will honor the one who serves me.
John 12:25-26

Visit to Hanford
So thankful that my boys have their Uncle to be this blazing example.


{Inspired to hit publish by Ashleigh Baker's gorgeous post at Heart and Home honoring the wives our our brave service members.}

No comments: