Monday, November 19, 2012

The Week That Was

Y'all, last week was a week.  Seriously.  We live a blessed life, but *whew*.

Monday morning, Walker woke with a fever.  Like a really-high-for-him fever. Then he started throwing up.  I appreciate him getting off the carpet, but that is about all he saved.  Somewhere in the midst of this "someone" poos his pants and attempts his own clean up.  He was extremely unsuccessful in his clean up. There was much showering, clothes washing and steam sanitizing going on. Hot water and bleach were my partners in germ fighting.

Then the hot water ran out and never returned.  First world problem, that totally made me realize my complete dependence on this luxury item.  Sanitize is my favorite cycle on any washing appliance.  Jason comes home to determine that, in fact, it is not the pilot light and that it is too late to get it fixed that day.  The contaminated linens pile grew and grew and grew...  Also, dear friends are ones who when you call at 9:30 desperate for the use of their shower to wash away the gross of the day, say yes.

Untitled

Tuesday.  My fantastic husband worked from home to arrange and manage hot water heater repair.  Walker continues to run a high fever but is able to stop throwing up, which is huge for him.  We had to miss our co-op day, which stinks for us all.  It really is a highlight of our week and to miss it leaves a gap in our week.

Also, the parents were getting rather tired by this point.
Untitled

Wednesday. Walker woke up with no fever and eats some toast!

I had a fantastic baby doctor appointment.  Baby girl is growing well.  She is still laying sideways, and the doc reiterates that this is fine at this point.  All the boys were head down at every check up, so I've never worried about a baby getting in position.  Anybody have personal experience with a baby hanging out sideways and turning in time for the grand exit?

And then, Walker crashed and his fever spiked up again.  We determined he needed a trip to the doc.  Off we go.  Diagnosis: Strep.  Boo and poor kid.

Untitled

He napped more this week than he has in a year.  We are talking sleeping for 20 hours a day.  He wouldn't even watch tv, much to the dissapointment of his feeling-fine-but-willing-to-watch-tv-all-day brothers.

Thursday.  We had to cancel plans to attend our homeschool's group Thanksgiving feast, due to W's fever the day before.  Of course, Walker acted completely fine all day (so grateful he felt better, but annoyed that we had to miss another event).  We all started to go stir crazy from the staying at home.

I decided Walker had enough strength for a walk so we head out to our neighborhood trail for some fresh air and vitamin D.  It does us all good.

Colin practiced walking independently  as opposed to mommy carrying or pushing him in a stroller.  I don't want him to resent me carrying baby girl all the time.  And by practicing I mean he cried for the the first half of the walk "mommy carry you" and there was much "good-bye to Colin" as I walked off.  Walker reminded him if he stayed in the woods there would be no chocolate milk for breakfast.  He came right along.

Boys.

I made dinner at home (which is of note these days).  I smoked up the entire house and it still smelled like burnt garlic the next day. It isn't a particularly horrible smell, it just isn't want you want to smell while sipping coffee.  

Friday.  Everyone woke up feeling well and we were past the 24 hour fever free mark.  Off we went to McWane center.  The excitement was palpable.
Science museum trains! So exciting. We wait all year for this.

Little brother was just as excited. (Although not praying to the trains as it appears)

The big boys promised to do their writing work without complaining when we got home and Colin promised not to pee in his pants while we are out.  Colin made good on his promise, the other 2, well...they got it done, eventually.

Untitled

Unrelated to the illness, but adding fun stuff to our week:  It has been a full week since I have changed a diaper.  Hot dog, after six and half years of continuous diaper changing, it appears I will be granted a few months reprieve. We waited a long time, a couple of attempts were abandoned, and suddenly my baby is joining the big boy club.

So here is my documentation of a hard momma week.  Love my kids, love being able to serve them and it would be just fine if they never threw up again.

1 comment:

taylor lane said...

Fact: Your blog is one of my most favorite things in all the world. I love it so much! Giggled the whole way through this! Love you too! (As in, you're also on my 'most favorite things' list!) ....(I'm reserving a spot for baby girl on the list too because I just have a good feeling about her....)