Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Force Is Strong {Halloween 2013}

Halloween 2013

When Colin announced he wanted a Star Wars costume like his brothers for Halloween there was really no doubt what sister's costume would be.  How many years will I really have the option of a coordinating theme for all four of them?  Got to make it count when I can.

Halloween 2013

Costumes are a part of our every week for us, but Halloween is still fun.  When the big boys were little they really didn't do much dress up play, but around the time of Eli's "Batman year" costumes became a part of our regular play around here.  We still have weeks where the costumes are worn everywhere and by everyone. I love it.  It also allows me to consider costumes, "investment pieces," when budgeting.

We have been blessed to join a couple of homeschool groups in our area and had fun celebrating with them this week.  There was park play.

Halloween 2013

And and absolutely amazing backyard party with more adorable activities than I have seen at any party.  I mean there was so much fun that this is the only picture I got, that should speak volumes.

Halloween 2013

There was trick or treating with friends.

Halloween 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween 2013

And while we missed going out with our the cousins, I am so grateful for the little community that is being carved out here.

This year we painted our pumpkins, because this week as been insane and painting pumpkins is about a hundred times easier than carving.

Halloween 2013

Walker struggled some and wasn't particularly happy with his outcome, but at least he did it on his own.  The others, if I'm being honest are mostly my amazing (so sarcastically said) artistic talent, but the boys were not content to leave orange enough alone so momma got it done.

Growing up I didn't celebrate Halloween and as a young adult I was ambivalent about the whole thing.  But experiencing it with my kids is nothing short of magical.  I love Halloween with our little family.  It is truly a holiday for fun and for children. It is a celebration of imagination, play and sweet treats; and those things are always worth celebrating.

And because being able to look back is the main purpose of this blog:
Halloween in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012

1 comment:

taylor lane said...

Do i have your permission to jack the pic of you and Lydia with those HILARIOUS buns and instagram it so i can make it a sticky gram and be happy for all the days of my life? PAH-LEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE?

I love run on sentences.

I love lydia.

I love you best.