Wednesday, November 7, 2007

364 Days of Anticipation...And Race Day Arrives





IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

Jason signed up for IRONMAN Florida 2007 the day after seeing Ben and Arthur complete the 2006 edition. I knew he would come home signed up, he wouldn't commit; but after observing something like that, I knew he would have to do it himself. He really started preparing by training for and completing The Gulf Coast Triathlon, a half Ironman distance that follows much of the same course as the IRONMAN Florida event. That training began in February, and he has pretty much been going strong ever since. August and September were the worst months, but on Saturday it was all worth it.

The event is much more than just race day. Jason registered and got all his official gear on Wednesday. On Thursday, they had an athletes pasta dinner and, that I was able to go to as well. On Friday, he had to check in his bike and his transition bags (where all his change of clothes and stuff is). All this made for three very full days before race day even arrived. The picture of the four guys is the crew that we knew doing the race at the Thursday night dinner. A big thanks goes out to Jason's parents and my parents. It would have been impossible for us to enjoy all the events without grandparent support.

The morning started off in a rush. Eli had a rough night, so I slept later than I had planned to. Jason, his dad and brother had left earlier to get him there on time and the rest of us were to follow with the boys. At 5:40 I bolted from the bed and began rushing around trying to get myself and Eli ready while Jason's mom got Walker ready. My dad and Jayne arrived and we headed down to the beach. I was so afraid I wasn't going to get to see him, but we made it (and had a little emotional moment). After going through all the training I couldn't imagine not getting to give him one last hug before he headed out.

The scene on the beach of 2300 participants and all of the spectators was quite impressive.

No comments: