Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Visit to Pops "Office"

Growing up it was always a special treat for my brother and I to get to go to work with my dad on Saturday mornings. So, much overdue, this past Saturday morning I loaded up the boys and we headed over to see what surprises Pops had in store. He works at a pretty exclusive golf club in the Birmingham area. He has been there forever and kind of keeps the place running (from what I can tell).

All the tools and toys used in maintaining such an environment are nothing but exciting to children. Walker's love of all things truck-like also played right into this visit.

When we arrived Pops had already gotten the "little garbage truck" and the "red dump truck" ready for Walker to drive.

Walker, Pops and a Dump Truck

Walker "Driving" the "Red Dump Truck"

Then Walker got to do something really amazing. He got to sit in the bulldozer and was able to push the lever that raised and lowered the blade.

Walker lifting the blade

Then we got a tour of the new building (or at least new since the last time I visited). It is very nice and quite an upgrade from what they had before (and much more child safe). They boys got to practice driving the giant tractor lawn mowers and golf carts. They didn't actually make the golf carts go, but it won't be long. That was the first vehicle ever drove, long before my 16th birthday, and if you want the details you will have to talk to my dad or my brother, the only witnesses.

Eli Likes It

Walker "Driving" the Golf Cart

Then Pops took us on a ride in a golf cart to see the famous 14th tee. The boys actually did seem to be impressed with how nice the grass was, it isn't often they get to run around on something like that.

On the Famous 14th Hole

Then the boys got their first ride in Pops' big red truck to head over to the stables. This is the only part of the day that was surprising to me, for two reasons. First, all the horses were out in the pastures, so my dad had to go and get one to come over to the fence to see the boys. There are two particular horses that he seems to have quite the relationship with and came right over to him without him ever putting a hand on them. I had no idea he that was this way with these giant animals.

Pops Gets Us a Horse

Second, Eli loved the horses. He grinned from ear to ear and about jumped out of the truck to get a closer look. He had been happy all day, but this was pure joy!

A wonderful horse, who cost more than my house, came right to the fence and was so sweet to me and the boys. He let the boys pet his nose and was so gentle with them, Eli was instantly in love. It almost makes me want to take up the whole horse thing, except for the price of a large house thing.

Eli Loves Him!

Eli Almost Gets a Kiss

We ended the morning with a return to Pops personal workshop to sit on his tractor and then we made one last visit to the big trucks before it was time to say goodbye.

The boys had a blast and so did I. It is so wonderful to be able to do something with my boys that I have such fond memories of in my childhood. I'm sure this is just the first of many times the boys will get to spend their Saturday mornings with Pops!

Big Smiles

7 comments:

Allyson said...

I always loved visiting my dad at work growing up! I'm glad the boys enjoyed their day! It seemed perfect for them! Your dad has walker's dream job! Haha. (well, if he stays 2 forever )

momx2 said...

What FUN!!!
Ok Nick, time to step up and invite us out to visit too!

Unknown said...

It looks like they had a great time!! That last picture is Eli is adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back many, many memories. Glad to see Walker and Eli loved it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back many, many memories. Glad to see Walker and Eli loved it.

Sara said...

The pictures are great! Maybe we can schedule a visit to the farm soon and get Jimmy to bring his horse. :)

KeithB said...

Sounds like a great day. And great pics too.