Monday, October 15, 2007

Baby Dedication




With our family and church, Jason and I dedicated our boys to the Lord on Sunday. We had already made this commitment in our hearts, but it was nice to have a ceremony with our church and family committing to join with us on this mission. Jason's parents, my dad and Jayne, and three sets of great-grandparents were able to attend. Both of our brothers were sick, so they were unable to attend. I hate that we didn't get a picture of everyone after the service, but it just didn't work out.Our pastor, Chris, and his wife, Cathy, did a great job and really made our family feel special.

One of the neat things Cathy asked us to do was to pick a life verse for each of the boys. This is something we probably wouldn't have thought to do, but now I realize it is a great way for parents to offer another blessing on their child straight from God's word.

We chose Colossians 3:17 for Walker. It is all about doing everything for Christ and offering thanks in the doing. I believe Walker will be a doer, and he is a very grateful child. Our pastor has been doing a message series in Colossians and I have found several wonderful verses on guiding our lives in it, and this one seemed particularly powerful.

For Eli, we chose Philippians 2:13-15. Those verses are all about shining like a star for God on this earth. We both believe that Eli will be a more passionate person who has the opportunity to be a shining example for Christ (Jason said the one with anger should be for Eli; he has his extremes:)). I have always loved the book of Philippians and have always felt that my mom like that book, which may or may not be true. I carried around a paper where she had written some verses out of Philippians for many years (I have no idea what happened to it).

No comments: