Friday, July 29, 2011

Momma Bear

When the boys at the park are mean, careless, and cruel with their words, I will talk to my boys about choosing who they play with and about being kind even when others are not.

Park Night 7.27.2011

My heart will still break at your nasty words and my son's dejected heart.

Park Night 7.27.2011

He will find some new friends and move on long before the mother's wound heals.

But be on warning kids who do not treat my kids kindly.  I will then watch you like a hawk. And the moment you put your hands on my son, I will parent you if your parent will not.

I will shock you with my teacher voice and firmly tell you to remove your hands.  When you shove another child (not mine) out of line at the water fountain, I will correct you.

What do you think about being the park police?  I was surprised at my strong reaction to these aggressive kids.

Usually park behavior is the opposite. Mothers are mortified by any bad behavior from their child, no matter how minor.

I do not expect perfect behavior from all the kids at the park.  I know my kids have made there share of mistakes, but you will not get to abuse other kids while I'm sitting on that park bench.

4 comments:

The Rhea Lane Families said...

umm. raise your voice from me too. That body language from that beautiful child. breaking my heart! I will snatch those mean kids up in the blink of an eye!

Hannah said...

You go Momma Bear!

Rachel said...

I totally get this. Mean kids make me SO mad.

Anna said...

that sweet Eli with his head hung down... heartbreaking! I definitely parent other people's kids if the parent doesn't. And if the parent isn't around, I feel they have agreed to let any parent close by do the parenting for them. But those are teachable moments that kids need.