Friday, January 16, 2009

Deceptively Delicious

For Christmas 'Aunt' Sara got me a copy of the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I have been wanting one for a while and was excited to try out some of the recipes. The idea is that you steam and puree vegetables and keep them in the freezer and then add them to your meals so your kids (and being honest here, the mommy) will eat their vegetables.

IMG_9587.JPG

I tried the Italian Meatloaf and the Mashed Potatoes earlier this week. Those were recipes in my comfort zone, so I thought I could be successful. Dinner got rave reviews! Walker ate every bite of a huge serving of meatloaf and Eli loved the potatoes. Jason and I enjoyed it, too. And, bonus we got two complete meals out of it that everyone ate, even the second time around. Now here is where the deception begins, the meatloaf had carrots in it and the potatoes had cauliflower in them, and no one was the wiser. I can't wait to try out some more of these recipes.

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9595.JPG


I would love to hear if anyone else has tried or uses these recipes with your family and what has been successful or not.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Wow - glad it worked well for you! I have the book, but it seemed like so much work. Maybe I"ll have to pull it out again! Better yet, invite us over for dinner next time you make it :) Hehe.

Hannah said...

I have wanted to try some of those recipes but have yet to buy the book. I do know that the "food cube method" of making homemade baby food was complicated enough for me to settle and buy the jarred stuff. Kudos to you for trying these out!